Check out the audio version of this study!
Hello everyone and welcome to my Revelations Study part 4 on “The Halfway Point of the Tribulation Period.”
I was initially planning on just doing a first and second half Tribulation study, but as I was writing it, I realized that I wanted to expand more on the events that will take place at the mid-way point. So let’s get started!
Part 3 ended with the last Seal Judgement which is an introduction to the Trump Judgements and the mid-way point of the Tribulation Period. These are the events that we are going discuss that will happen in the middle of the Tribulation:
The death of the Two Witnesses (Rev 11:7-14),
The War in Heaven (Rev 12:7-17)
The Anti-Christ being energized by Satan (Rev 12, Rev 13:3),
The Abomination of Desolation and the halt of the Sacrificial System in the Temple (Dan 9:27, 2 Thes 2:4, Matt 24:15), and
The Escape to Petra (Rev 12, Matt 24:16)
In my previous study “The Two Witnesses of Revelations,” I go into detail about the roles of the two witnesses including their death. So I won’t spend as much time here except to say that their death, by the hand of the Anti-Christ in Jerusalem, will happen at the end of the first 3.5 years. This will be another way for the Anti-Christ to show his power and authority among the dwellers of the Earth.
The two witnesses will have powers granted by God to preform great signs and wonders, including stopping the rain and bringing about the plagues. Throughout their 3.5 year ministry, they will become very unpopular among the inhabitants of the Earth, so their death will be a welcomed sight to the people.
Before we continue with the next events on Earth, lets see what is happening in Heaven during this time. At the mid-way point of the Tribulation Period, there will be a “war in Heaven” (Rev 12:7-17) between Satan and his army of evil angels, and Michael and his army of righteous angels. Lets look at Rev 12:8-9:
- 8 and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
Satan will loose this war. Verse 8 specifically says that “there was no longer a place found for them in heaven,” meaning that Satan and his angels today all dwell in Heaven with God, and they will be there until they are thrown down to Earth permanently. I’ll do a separate study on angels in a later post, but for now, know that Satan and his army of evil angels have access to transit between Heaven and Earth.
Now lets look at verse 13:
- 13 And when the dragon saw that he was thrown down to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male child.
I will have a future study called “Revelations 12: The Women, The Dragon, and The Male Child,” where I will go in depth about these characters in this chapter of Revelations, but for now, know that the dragon is Satan, the women is Israel (The Jews), and the male child is Christ.
Satan will be furious. He will no longer have access to God in Heaven to accuse Gods people of wrongdoing. So now that Satan is on Earth, he will go after the next best thing, the Jews.
You see, God made four covenant promises to the Jewish people and one of those promises was that He was going to make the Jewish people a great nation forever (Gen 15). If God does not keep His promises, then how can He be God? He couldn’t. Satan knows this, so he will attack the Jews and try to destroy them permanently, attempting to stop God from fulfilling His promises.
- a quick side note for prophecy students: if you want to know where we are at on Gods prophetic timeline, keep your eyes on Israel and the Jewish nation. God made promises to the Jews that will be fulfilled, therefor we can watch them and see how todays events happening around Israel are setting the stage for Gods promises to the Jewish nation will be fulfilled.
But Satan won’t succeed. God has a plan for the Jewish people at the mid-way point of the Tribulation Period. But before we discuss that, lets first talk about our next event, the Anti-Christ being energized by Satan. Lets now look at Rev 13:3:
- 3 I saw one of his heads as if it had been slain, and his fatal wound was healed. And the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast;
The Anti-Christ will suffer a fatal wound to the head, appearing dead. It will be a type of wound that there would be no mistake of death. This is the point where Satan will energize the Anti-Christ. His wound will be healed by Satan and the whole world will see this miracle (probably on tv and social media). They will be deceived into believing that the Anti-Christ is God. This will lead us to the next event, The Abomination of Desolation and the halt of the Sacrificial System in the Temple.
When the Anti-Christ is energized by Satan, he will then go into the Temple that will be standing on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, desecrate it, and make his claim to be God. He, along with the false prophet, will put an image of himself in the Temple. This image will have the power to speak, and all who dwell on Earth will be forced to worship this image of the Anti-Christ. This is the Abomination of Desolation.
There are 3 passages in the Bible that I will use to describe these events, one of those passages was from Jesus Himself.
- 2 Thess 2:3-4
- 3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.
- Dan 9:27
- 27 And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate.”
- and last Matt 24:15-16 (from Jesus)
- 15 “Therefore when you see the abomination of desolation which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 16 then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.
All of these passages are speaking about the Anti-Christ and the Abomination of Desolation. 2 Thes 2:3-4 says that the Anti-Christ (man of lawlessness) will display himself as God. Dan 9:27 confirms that this will happen at the mid-way point of the Tribulation Period (1 week = 7 years in Daniels prophecy). Dan 9:27 also confirms that the Anti-Christ will put a stop to the sacrificial system in the Temple. Last, in Matt 24:15-16 Jesus Himself confirms all this, and in verse 16 Jesus speaks about our next and last event that we will talk about, the escape to Petra.
Remember earlier, when we were in Rev 12:13, I said that Satan will not succeed in destroying the Jewish people because God has a plan? In Matt 24:16 Jesus told the Jewish people that when they see the abomination of desolation, to flee to the mountains. Rev 12:14 also speaks about this:
- 14 But the two wings of the great eagle were given to the woman, so that she could fly into the wilderness to her place, where she was nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.
The women (Jews) will go to the Edomite mountain city which today is called Petra in now-a-day Jordan, about 200 miles southeast from Jerusalem. Petra is a mountain fortress built by Esau (Jacobs brother) and became the dwelling place for the entire Edomite nation. I can go more in depth on this in a future study, but for now, know that this will be the place where God will send His people (the Jews) to protect them for a time and times and half a time (3.5 years), which will be the for the last half of the Tribulation Period. God will protect a remnant of His people from the wrath of the Anti-Christ and fulfill his promise that He made to them.
These are the events that will take place at the mid-way point of the Tribulation Period. Stay tuned for part 5 where we will discuss the events that will take place in the last half of the Tribulation Period.
Please email me if you have any questions regarding the information I just shared. You can find my contact information under the “contact” tab on my homepage.
And always remember, why is it important to study Bible prophecy? Because never have we been closer than today..