Check out the audio version of this study!
Hello and welcome to my study on “Was There Water In The Sky?”
There will be occasions where I will post studies on topics that are not necessarily in relation to Bible prophecy, but are good for your knowledge and better understanding of the Bible and our God. Though this study may actually have connections to the end time scenario, but we will talk about that towards the end.
So what do I mean when I say “water in the sky?” Would you ever believe that in the early stages of the Earth, from creation up until the time of Noah, that there was a mass of water floating above our atmosphere that surrounded our planet? Sounds crazy right? There are many passages in the Bible that actually support this idea and we will go over each one to see what scripture actually says about it.
Lets start off at the very beginning, in Gen 1:2 nasb
2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
Try to imagine in your mind what this might have looked like? Remember, nothing besides the formless earth had yet been created, which meant there was no land, no vegetation, no animals, no stars or sun or moon, not even light. This verse says that only one thing was present on the earth at this point.. water. The earth here was literally just a giant ball of water.
Now lets look at the second day of creation: Gen 1:6-8 nasb
6 Then God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” 7 God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so. 8 God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.
What was this expanse? Dictionary.com defines an expanse as this: “an uninterrupted space or area; a wide extent of anything: ie that great expanse, the sky.”
I want to remind you that we are still in the second day of creation, which means that nothing created after this day had been made present (ie land, vegetation, stars..etc). This expanse could not have been land, because land was not brought forth until the third day of creation. This expanse can only be one thing, a space/area: the sky. So the way this verse reads is that God put an expanse (the sky) in between the waters of the earth creating a water canopy above the sky surrounding the earth.
Some argue that because Gen 1:8 nasb identifies this expanse as “heaven” then it must be speaking about the literal “heaven” that God dwells in. There are many reasons why this view is not sustainable. First, the heaven that God dwells in, is a place outside of our reach and understanding. Gen 1:9 nasb also makes it apparent that the waters were directly below this expanse called heaven, clearly identifying this as being an area on earth and not Gods holy dwelling place. The Bible actually uses the word “heaven” to identify three different areas:
The 1st heaven (The Sky): Psalm 8:8 nasb
The 2nd heaven (The Universe): Psalm 8:3 nasb
The 3rd heaven (Gods dwelling place): 2 Cor 12:2-4 nasb
The only time that heaven is used to describe a place on earth is the sky. So by using scripture to interpret scripture, we can now clearly identify the waters in Gen 1:6-8 nasb as being above and below the sky.
But why is this significant? What would be the purpose of a water canopy above the sky? Dr. Donald Deyoung (a highly respected Christian Astronomer) lists these arguments in favor of the water canopy:
The initial separation of water above and below the firmament (expanse, sky, atmosphere) may refer to the origin of a canopy (Gen 1:6-7)
2. Gen 2:5-6 hints that the early earth did not experience rain. A canopy would have greatly affected weather patterns, very likely limiting precipitation.
3. During the great Flood, the windows or floodgates of heaven were opened for forty days and night (Gen 7:11-12). The present-day atmosphere could not hold enough moisture for such a lengthy deluge. Thus, the sky was likely different in the past in a way that could have included a vapor canopy.
4. Many ancient cultures have traditions telling of a canopy-type phenomenon above the earth. The Babylonian creation account, Enuma Elish, refers to Mummu, representing fog, clouds, or mist. Perhaps this was a canopy description.
5. There is abundant evidence of a warmer earth in the past. We have found fossils of palm trees in Alaska, crocodiles in New Jersey, and petrified wood in the desert. A canopy would have warmed the entire earth like a blanket. Seasonal cold and heat are first mentioned after the Flood in Gen 8:22.
6. A canopy would have increased atmospheric pressure, perhaps doubling its present value. This may explain the mystery of the flying reptiles, such as the pteranodon with its seventy-foot wingspan. In today’s world it is doubtful that such creatures could fly. With higher air pressure in pre-Flood time, however, they may have been buoyed up by the increased air pressure. These magnificent creatures were certainly created and designed to fly above the early earth.
7. The canopy may hold the key to understanding the longevity in Old Testament chronologies, and also giantism of plants and animals in the fossil record. Increased air pressure can be very beneficial to health, as evidence by experiments with hyperbaric or high altitude pressure surgery. The healing process is sometimes found to accelerate when the patient is placed under higher than normal air pressure. The vapor canopy may also have increased the human lifespan by absorbing harmful radiation. The aging process is still not well understood today, so it is difficult to speculate on the beneficial effects of a pre-Flood canopy.
A biblical hint that a type of canopy may be restored during millennial times is in Psalm 148:4-6, which decribes waters that will be above the heavens forever and ever. Isaiah also mentions future weather protection above Mount Zion (Isa 4:5-6). (Donald B. DeYoung, Weather And TheBible, Grand Rapids, Baker Book House, 1992, pp. 110-112).
Now lets look at the prophetic aspect of this topic.
Two things that Dr. Donald Deyoung’s commentary pointed out that really caught my attention, was the possible explanation of longevity in the Old Testament (ie living up to 900 + years old) and the hint that a “type of canopy may be restored during the millennial times.”
After doing some research, I came across a prophetic passage in the book of Zechariah (1 of 4 prophetic books of the Bible) that speaks about the Millennial Kingdom. If you take a look at Zech 8:4 nasb, it says that old men and women will again sit in the streets of Jerusalem having a staff in their hand because of age. In my Bible, I have a footnote by the word age in this verse, which defines this word as “a multitude of days.” Most of the time when the word multitude is used in the Bible, it’s speaking of more than the normal average. This is further evidence that longevity could indeed possibly be restored during Christ’s millennial reign, and the return of the water canopy could be the reason for this longevity.
In my Revelations series, I will eventually hit on the events that will take place during the Millennial Kingdom, and because I will be touching on the possibility of the restoring of the water canopy and longevity, I thought this topic would be a good prelude to help prepare for that study.
It’s interesting to note that the prophetic aspect of this study (the restoring of the water canopy and longevity in the Millennial Kingdom) points to Jesus Christ and His millennial reign. If you look at Rev 19:10 nasb, it says “the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” So prophecy actually points to Jesus Christ! Its a wonder why prophecy is one of the least taught subjects in the Church today.
In my “about me” section, I stated that I rediscovered my love for Jesus through the study of Bible prophecy. How amazing is it that the scriptures actually support my testimony. This is why I try to “urge the body of Christ to study the end time prophetic scenario.”
Please email me if you have any questions regarding the information I just shared. You can find my contact information under the “contact” tab on my homepage.
And always remember, why is it important to study Bible prophecy? Because never have we been closer than today..