2 “Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of drunkenness to all the surrounding peoples, when they lay siege against Judah and Jerusalem.” – Zechariah 12:2
So what does the above prophecy mean? Simply put, the prophet Zechariah was speaking of a time when the city of Jerusalem would become the center of controversy among the surrounding nations. The term “ cup of drunkenness” indicates that these ‘nations’ would be drunk with power and lust over this holy city.
So is that what we are seeing today? Take a look at the following headlines:
- Erdogan: ‘Jerusalem is our city, a city from us’ – Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan opened the Turkish parliament’s legislative session on Thursday with a long speech that addressed the city of Jerusalem and the Palestinian people, in which he stated: “Jerusalem is our city.” – October 3, 2020
- Jordan fears losing control over Muslim sites in Jerusalem – Jordan is growing increasingly worried about reports suggesting that Israel has offered Saudi Arabia control over the Islamic holy sites in Jerusalem, including Haram Al-Sharif/Temple Mount, Jordanian and Palestinian officials said on Thursday. – December 3, 2020
- Palestinians force UAE delegation to leave Al-Aqsa Mosque – Palestinians removed a United Arab Emirates (UAE) delegation from the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, the world’s third-holiest site for Muslims, over Abu Dhabi’s normalization deal with Tel Aviv, which is regarded by many as a betrayal of the Palestinians. – October 19, 2020
- “Jews have no right” to the Temple Mount – PA official – ‘This is the Temple Mount.’ What Temple, what Temple is [he talking] about? This is Al-Aqsa. This is our mosque that is a possession of the Muslims, and the Jews have no right to it!” – October 23, 2020
- Israel straddles the divide as Saudis vie for influence over Temple Mount – Two events of religious and historical significance that very nearly took place over the last 24 hours point to a deeper layer in Jordan and Saudi Arabia’s struggle for guardianship of Islamic holy places on Jerusalem’s Temple Mount. Israel has now been dragged into this struggle against its will. – March 12, 2021
It would appear as if these ‘surrounding nations’ (Turkey, Palestinians, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia) all seem to want some sort of hold, if not total control, of Jerusalem and the Temple Mount. According to Psalm 83:4, these same nations (including others) will also attempt to wipe Israel off the face of the earth during the seven year Tribulation Period, which happens after the Rapture of the Church.
Headlines such as the ones listed above seem to be appearing more and more frequently. The prophet Zechariah knew that one day the city of Jerusalem and the Temple Mount would be seen as a desired jewel and sought after to the point of drunken lust, and according to Psalm 83:4, even to the point of the total annihilation of the state of Israel.
So I ask again, are we living in Zechariah 12:2?
Please email me if you have any questions regarding the information I just shared. You can find my contact information under the “contact” tab on my homepage.
And always remember, why is it important to study Bible prophecy? Because never have we been closer than today..